In cases of natural disaster or an emergency, it’s hard to know how to deal with the aftermath. It may be a tornado, blizzard, or flood, or it may be an emergency situation like a house fire, but no matter what the cause, when disaster strikes, you’re left with a mess. It can be overwhelming, which is why it’s important to know who to call for dumpsters, heavy equipment, and hauling services.
After a disaster, the EPA puts an emphasis on the importance of safe, proper, and timely debris management. Unfortunately, garbage disposal is a factor that’s often overlooked in the chaos of emergency response. It’s extremely important, though, because properly managing waste protects human health, prevents injuries, and minimizes environmental impact.
For effective cleanup, consider the following categories of waste that are often found in a house after a disaster.
- Food waste: Even if the only issue with your home during the disaster was an extended power outage, you’re likely to have spoiled food that needs handling. Fortunately, many food items can be composted to avoid the landfill.
- Clothing: If you’re interested in recycling damaged clothing items, air them out by hanging them to dry and then contact an organization like Goodwill or the Salvation Army. Often, these organizations know how to get damaged clothes into the right hands, so they can be shredded and turned into useful products like insulation or carpet.
- Appliances: Whether or not they’re working, appliances can still be useful. It’s possible to recycle appliances for parts or reuse the metal.
- Furniture: If your home has been damaged by a storm, it’s best to let your furniture dry out as much as possible before deciding what can be salvaged. If items are undamaged by things like mold or rust, you can probably continue using them.
- Storm debris: It’s essential to get rid of storm debris as quickly as possible, to prevent fire hazards, decomposition, rodent infestation, and other issues. Pull out items that can be recycled, and dispose of the rest.
Brackenbox offers a variety of solutions to help you recover from an emergency or disaster. Roll off dumpster rental is available in a variety of sizes, with same day delivery. What’s more, in our waste management facilities, we pull out recyclable items to reduce the impact of waste on the environment. We also provide hauling services, excavation services, and heavy equipment, with the right machinery to get the job done, and an experienced team to help.
When you need emergency help after an emergency or natural disaster, you can count on Brackenbox. A family owned and operated business, we’ve been serving customers in Chicago for over a decade, providing not only dumpsters but also professional recycling, heavy equipment, hauling and demolition services. We offer same day delivery, competitive pricing, commercial dumping, and prompt, reliable service. For a complimentary estimate or to learn more about all, we have to offer, call us at 708.566.9291, or contact us through our website.